BGP peering question

H I Baysal hibaysal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 14:46:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is mentioned already but here goes,

You need to understand the difference between peering and a direct
interconnect.
with an interconnect you have to think about is the traffic enough to
"dedicate"  a port for that connection on your edge. ( cost of port vs cost
if you would send the traffic over an IX or transit)

peering it does not matter that much, as in someone mentioned to peer as
much as you can, this will give you more control over announcements per
peer and the announcement to the IX.
for example you could not advertise the prefixes that attract alot of
traffic through the IX RR but to individual members. basically it gives you
more control over your announcement to different isps/network over an IX.
however you do have to think about the load on your router on the edge, the
more sessions the more "power" it needs and more processing when things go
wrong or flap.

I hope i didn't give redundant information and it helps.

good luck!!!

Regards,

Halil

--