BGP peering question

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 13 19:27:56 UTC 2017

If you develop a well tuned process for creating BGP sessions and even a moderate
system for monitoring not the individual sessions, but meaningful traffic events on
your network, then, maintaining a large number of peers and a promiscuous peering
policy is not such a daunting process.

As a general rule, promiscuous peering improves efficiency and keeps your options for
traffic delivery open. Restrictive peering generally has the opposite effect.

Route servers are a lazy form of promiscuous peering, with an attendant fate sharing
which can produce suboptimal results. YMMV.

I’ve worked for several networks of various sizes and observed the industry in general
for many years. As a general rule, a restrictive peering policy is a great way to lose
momentum in the market and convert a major ISP into a bit-player (e.g. SPRINT), whereas
promiscuous peering can be a key component in moving a trivial ISP into a major player
in the industry (e.g. HE).

Again, YMMV.

Owen