BGP peering question

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:04:26 UTC 2017

Speaking as a small ISP with 10 to 20 Gbps peak traffic. We are heavy
inbound as a pure eyeball network.

We use the route servers. We only maintain direct BGP sessions with a few
large peers. Think Google, Netflix, Akamai etc.

The reason for this is simply administrative overhead. Every BGP session
has to be configured and monitored. We know that it will not move a large
percentage of our traffic. We simply do not have the ressources currently
when the gain is so little.

Anyone who wants to pass traffic efficiently to us can either use the route
server or they can peer with Hurricane Electric. The later option will get
the traffic to us almost as efficiently as peering directly with us. In
this sense we outsourced the peering to them.

Regards

Baldur