Some advice on IPv6 planning and ARIN request, please

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Jul 8 17:13:15 UTC 2017

Radu,

Are you assuming that a goal of IPv6 is to efficiently fill subsets? I submit that it is not. There are advantages to sparse address spaces, among them easy mapping of MAC addresses for transition purposes and the security that discourages malefactors from quickly enumerating active devices in a subnet.

But that's not the main reason for /64 basic subsets. One of the guiding principles of IPv6 was to not make the mistake of underestimating the future applications of IP addresses. Thus your question "what hotel room has 65536 items in it?" has no meaning in terms of future applications. As you point out, we're not talking about hotel rooms. We don't, by definition, know what we're talking about for future applications.

I tell people in my IPv6 classes that we have to stop thinking of ourselves in a spacesuit with a limited air supply that must be rationed, and instead recognize that we're now in a wide-open planet-sized atmosphere where we can breathe freely, and without apportionment.

That open atmosphere was by design. It's why IPv6 uses 128-bit addresses, and not 48- or 64-bit. In the exponential space of integers, IPv6 selected a maximum integer that was many orders of magnitude greater than we could ever imagine needing at the time.

They're just integers. Not lumps of gold. And there's more where those came from :)

 -mel beckman