Some advice on IPv6 planning and ARIN request, please

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 8 01:06:04 UTC 2017

Oliver,

I’ll mostly second what Bill has said here. However, I encourage you to actually
consider a /48 per guest room as well as a /48 per hotel for the hotel itself.

Yes, this is excessive, but IPv6 was designed with these types of excesses in mind.

We don’t yet know the scope and breadth of what will come out of IoT development,
but one thing we do know for sure… Development tends to get stymied by whatever
turns into the lowest common denominator among available technologies out there,
so if 10 hotel chains give their guests /48s and 2 give out /60s and one gives
out /64s, development may well lock everyone into nothing better than what can
be done with a /64 even if better is available.

We’ve seen this time and again with products that depend on autodiscovery processes
that rely on everything being on the same LAN and assume that they can just trust
the NAT router to protect that LAN from anything else. This is clearly a very bad
strategy to anyone who understands networking, yet if you walk into your local
Best Buy, more of the “internet enabled” products on the shelf have this behavior
than don’t… Far more.

Owen