Some advice on IPv6 planning and ARIN request, please

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 7 22:17:43 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Oliver O'Boyle <oliver.oboyle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We're an end-user org and qualify for a /40 assignment because we operate
> over 60 sites and some of those are/will be multihomed.

Hi Oliver,

I second Ken's notion. You're trying to be an ISP under the end-user rules.
However transient, your users are mostly customers rather than staff. Just
register as an ISP and get the default /32.

IIRC, ARIN sparsely allocates IPv6 so if you go back for more addresses
there is a high probability they'll just increase your netmask.

Finally, /56 or /60 per guest, not /64. IPv6 can do nifty IoT things like
collecting all of a guest's devices behind his personal firewall but it
doesn't work if you've only assigned a /64.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>