Some advice on IPv6 planning and ARIN request, please

Oliver O'Boyle oliver.oboyle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:38:06 UTC 2017

Thanks, Jima. I'll review the slides.

Without complicating the issue, we're trying to address a number of
challenges at the same time. There's no regional backhauling at this time.
Each site will be reachable via the internal network but will also
independently announce it's assignment to its ISP(s). There are many
reasons for this model, some of which I like and others I don't! We do plan
to coordinate address assignments/aggregations with the ISPs to reduce
global routes and unwanted conflicts/overlap.Unfortunately, there's no real
hub in each region and the ISPs are not region-specific. We inherit a bunch
of stuff and then need to find a way to jam it into something that isn't
completely broken... we've done a lot of cleanup and re-org of services but
there's still a long way to go. IPv6 should help us get there, however.

Agreed with the /48 but ARIN doesn't appear to agree with our justification
for a /36 thus far.

--
:o@>