EdgeRouter Infinity as medium-sized "IXP Peering Router"?

Jeremy Austin jhaustin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 23:10:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

> EdgeRouter is... meh. If I was looking at that class of gear I'd go with a
> Mikrotik.

Job,

There is a bit of a price differential here, depending on whether you need
SFP+; the Infinity is "dead cheap", and has fairly opaque BGP
daemon+debugging tools. Also still technically a beta product. Not sure if
it meets your automation requirements. I wouldn't want to be deploying them
in a redundant pair, myself, but just when you say something can't be done…

Mikrotik's CCR1072: 10-gig router (shipping, not anything that's just been
announced) has an API, can certainly handle a few tens of thousands of
routes fine (single core BGP though), but I can't vouch for its ability to
do IMIX or *flow at line rate. This has probably been stress tested by
somebody. I doubt the sampling is in hardware.

If you don't need 10G ports then your options expand considerably. Do you
have a target throughput?

--
Jeremy Austin

(907) 895-2311 office