Passive Optical Network (PON)

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jan 21 21:31:18 UTC 2017

On 1/21/17 8:44 AM, Kenneth McRae wrote:
> Greeting all,
>
> Is anyone out there using PON in a campus or facility environment?  I am talking to a few vendors who are pushing PON as a replacement for edge switching on the campus and in some cases, ToR switch in the DC.  Opinions on this technology would be greatly appreciated.
The datacenter tor / host evironments I'm exposed to generally consider
10Gb/s or Nx10 to be the performance floor not the ceiling. To my
thinking 100gig lr4 results in a substantial reduction in
fiber/optic/port count which will in the long more than offset the
increased cost something that didn't really happen with 40gig.