Level3 Internet service, out of order packets causing issues

Jason Rokeach jason at rokeach.net
Wed Jan 18 02:56:51 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,
I'm going to throw out a guess here.  By any chance, is the first octet of
your router's MAC address a 4 or a 6?
In general, modern routers do not load balance per-packet, which is what
caused out-of-order issues in days gone.  Load balancing is usually done
based on a hash of the source and/or destination IP of the packet, MPLS
label, or Ethernet (on a switched interface).  The most common cause for
actual unordering of packets/frames in a modern service provider network,
in my experience, is actually this hashing mechanism.  Many vendor's
hashing implementations assume, based on position in the frame, that a
frame with a MAC address beginning with 4 or 6 is an IPv4 or IPv6 frame,
not an MPLS frame.  This can result in out of order packets.  The most
common fix is control word being applied on a pseudowire (assuming you are
being carried across a pseudowire in the SP network), but if this *is* what
is occurring, you could also resolve the issue by changing your MAC address.