Safe IPv4 Was: Re: premiumcolo.net IP address rental

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:28:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Story <rstory at tislabs.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 13:40:23 -0500 Martin wrote:
> MH> 2. Apply for and receive a last /22 from RIPE. EVERYONE can do this.
>
> Not quite everyone. You have to be a RIPE NCC member, which not everyone
> can do.
>
> "Who can become a Local Internet Registry (LIR)/RIPE NCC member?
>
>     Any organisation with a legally established office in the RIPE NCC
>     service region can become a member of the RIPE NCC."
>
> https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/resource-management/faq/faq-ipv4-
> address-space

I'm not sure this applies to the situation we're discussing. For example, a
US based corporation can apply and will receive an allocation of a /22 from
the RIPE last /8. I believe they do become an LIR. That does not require an
EU subsidiary or physical office. This is "good" for a variety of reasons
including providing for need and rushing towards exhaustion. This isn't
surreptitious. It is within policy.

Best,

-M<