Questions on IPv6 deployment

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Tue Jan 17 23:06:10 UTC 2017

Hi Bill,

> Op 17 jan. 2017, om 22:55 heeft William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I'm always interested in learning something new. Please explain the
> DOS vectors you're referring to and how they're mitigated by
> allocating a /64 to the point to point link.

One thing that comes to mind is that it seems that some routers only have limited space in their routing tables for prefixes longer than a /64. If you would configure a /127 on the link but push the /64 to the routing table then you might both avoid ND Cache exhaustion and avoid the limitations on longer-than-/64 prefixes.

I personally prefer to set up my addressing plan that things like this are possible even if I don't do it today, but I also understand the choices you make. I don't think any of the choices is wrong. It mostly depends on expectations, used equipment and personal preference.

And thanks for mentioning "Minimum assignment to a customer: /60". That is indeed a very important one!

Cheers,
Sander