Questions on IPv6 deployment

Chris Russell chris at nifry.com
Mon Jan 16 15:20:03 UTC 2017

> I have a /32 assigned from ARIN (2001:4918::/32)
>
> I’m looking for some direction/reading list of how to properly
> configure IPv6.  I’ve read to use a /64 for PtP interfaces and I’ve
> read use a /128 instead.    Assign all loopbacks from the same /64,
> use a different /64 for each loopback. Ect, ect.
>
> I’m trying not to light a religious war but what is the current best
> practice for IPv6 deployment in a service provider network?
>
> PS.  I’ll be at NANOG69 in DC next month,  1st NANOG for me after 22
> years.  ☺

  At the start, the advice was to configure individual /64 for
loopbacks, however latterly its assign a /64 for loopbacks and configure
/128 instead.

  Stick with a /48 for sites/customers.

  The best advice is to use nibble boundaries  (see:
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/ipv6/ipv6-subnetting-card)
hence /52 /56 /60

  I also recommend watching this (Tom Coffeen from Infoblox at UKNOF35
which covers this exact subject):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWFcIk4oMMU&feature=youtu.be&list=PLjzK5ZtLlc90teq9-rGzytIVu-hvsF9hd

  Its worth a watch and covers the basics

HTH