BGP Route Reflector - Route Server, Router, etc

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Fri Jan 13 04:02:07 UTC 2017

On Thu 2017-Jan-12 22:59:21 +0000, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12 January 2017 at 20:32, Justin Krejci <JKrejci at usinternet.com> wrote:
>> . I have not found many resources discussing using a non-router box as a route reflector (ie a device not necessarily in the forwarding path of the through traffic). I am thinking things like OpenBGPd and BIRD could make a good route reflector though they are most often discussed in the context of IXPs (ie eBGP sessions).
>
>The CSR1000v (IOS-XE),IOS-XRv and vMX are production ready. People are
>deploying these in production and its increasing in popularity.

Any thoughts on vRR vs. vMX for this use case?  I see Mark called out vRR
as having morphed into vMX, but AFAIK vRR is just vMX minus the forwarding
plane, is targeted as an out-of-path reflector, and coexists with vMX as a
different deployment option rather than having been replaced by it.  I
would assume that vRR should come in a few bucks lower than the vMX as a
result, but I've only previously gotten quotes on vRR not vMX.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal