SoCal FIOS outage(?) / static IP readdressing

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 4 13:37:19 UTC 2017

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 7:54 AM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I solved this issue by making my own ISP.

I’ve been thinking of the same in my underserved area.  Labor is $5/foot here and despite friends and colleagues telling me to move, it seems I have a sub-60 month ROI (and sub-year for some areas I’ve modeled with modest uptake rates of 15-20% where the other options are fixed wireless, Cellular data or dial).

Hope is to do a presentation in the fall or next year with progress.  We have areas around here where Comcast, (AT&T or Frontier) don’t even serve.  The municipality is off getting bids to build due to market failure by the incumbents to invest. municipal fiber is nigh on illegal here in Michigan but with no incumbent it is feasible and my hope is will lock out people who are unwilling to invest despite their market cap.

- Jared