SoCal FIOS outage(?) / static IP readdressing

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Jan 4 08:28:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 06:56:13PM -0800, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> Hopefully it won't be three days this time.

Well, my FIOS mysteriously came back online about 9:45pm, a bit over 18
hours after it mysteriously dropped offline. I happened to be in the
wiring closet staring angrily at the ONT about 8:30ish and noticed that
it reset itself 2 or 3 times over the course of about 10 minutes, so I
get the feeling somebody was fiddling with it remotely. I suppose I'll
never really know what was broken or how it ended up being fixed, other
than having about 100% certainty it was on the far side of the fiber.

It's understandable that equipment breaks, and people misconfigure
things sometimes. What I find insanely frustrating is the complete
disconnect between level 1/2 support and the network engineers that
actually know what's going on. When I called this morning with a
complete outage of my business class FIOS, somebody probably knew it was
down, or at least should have been able to tell it was down. But instead
I get to waste hours of my time going through meaningless
troubleshooting steps because lower level support doesn't have that
information. And then after actually getting an escalation to someone
who confirms an outage and gives me a ticket #, later follow up once
again yields a complete lack of knowledge of what's clearly an outage,
whether of just my connection or more widespread.

I'm about at the point where next time it goes down and it appears to be
a remote issue I'm not going to bother to call it in; I'll just cross my
fingers and hope it fixes itself within a day or so and only report it
if it doesn't. I don't think my calls today did anything but waste my
time.