SoCal FIOS outage(?) / static IP readdressing

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Jan 4 02:56:13 UTC 2017

So I woke up this morning to discover my business FIOS had croaked about
3:30 AM :(. Everything looked good on the ONT, but couldn't ping the
gateway. Poked at it from the other side, and it looked like traceroute
died a hop or so short of what I remember, so seemed to be a layer 3
issue on their side. Called support, killed an hour going through the
level 1 checklist (I suppose I understand why they have to do it, but it
doesn't make it any less frustrating to have to do the reset/power
cycle/cable reseat dance when you already know it's not going to change
a thing). Finally talked her into escalating the issue, and was told
there was a known outage in my area with reference #37202878, no cause
provided, and no ETA on resolution. Yay.

So I opened a chat session a little bit ago to see if I could get an
update on when my FIOS might come back. Of course the support tech
wanted to lead me through the dance again <sigh>, but I explained my
earlier conversation and asked him if he could just update me on the
outage. He said he had no record of that outage. I talked him into
escalating the issue again. He said his escalation engineer had never
heard of that outage or that reference number, and that everything
seemed fine with my FIOS, and I should just try resetting the ONT again
8-/.

So here I am, still with no FIOS, a general outage that may or may not
exist, and support techs with different stories :(. The last time I had
a problem like this my FIOS was down about three days, level 1 and level
2 support swore there was nothing wrong with it and had actually
scheduled a truck roll to replace my ONT, and it turned out to be an
accidental misconfiguration that took a while to resolve. I'm assuming
something similar happened again this time, same mysterious layer 3
breakage in the middle of the night, same claims by layer 1 and layer 2
support that  there's nothing wrong, same obvious layer 3 functionality
issues. I'm guessing it will eventually just start working again.
Hopefully it won't be three days this time. If anybody in Frontier land
wants to throw a fellow network admin a bone and has any information on
this potential outage or when my FIOS might come back online I'd really
appreciate knowing :).

On another note, I was wondering if anybody has had their static FIOS IP
addresses migrated from Verizon space to Frontier space yet? Last April
they said they are going to do it by this April, which only leaves four
months. So far I haven't heard anything about it regarding my account.

Thanks…