microducts

Fredrik Holmqvist / I2B fredrik at i2b.se
Sun Jan 1 22:16:30 UTC 2017

Hi.

 From my own experience i would recommend 7/3.5 mm DB (Direct Burial)
ducts from a cabinet to each home, and put in for 100% when doing the
digging, the cost for the duct is low, so it's a bad idea to not do it
right away.
You do not have to leave duct to reach all the way into the customers
home, just leave it at the customers premise in the ground (don't forget
to add a dust cap so that you do not get in moisture and/or dirt into
the duct).

We have blown 800 meters of EBFU in a 7/3.5 mm DB duct, so as long as
you don't have lots of curves (or atleast not sharp ones and make good
duct splices (which is not hard)) then you can go a long distance.

How many cabinets you need depends on the cost of subscriber
ducts/fiber vs. cabinet cust.
We have had cases where we could do 100% uptake with just one cabinet,
but it was 25% more expensive that just add another cabinet and put a
14/10 ducts with 96 fiber betweeen them.

Another recommendation is to use 14/10 ducts from the CO and between
the cabinets.
Put in more than one so you can expand or use to go to the next area or
CO.

Example:
CO > Cabinet 1 > Cabinet 2 > Cabinet 3 > Cabinet 4

Each cabinet in this case can have up to 48 subscribers.
Start with a 192 fiber (which is available for the 14/10 ducts) between
CO and cabinet 1.
Go with 144 fiber from cabinet 1 to cabinet 2.
Go with 96 fiber from cabinet 2 to cabinet 3.
Go with 48 fiber from cabinet 3 to cabinet 4.

You can also go with for example a 192 fiber all the way, and if you
need to expand, just blow in a new fiber (in another 14/10 duct) between
the CO and cabinet 1 and splice them into the rest of the fibers between
cabinet 1 and cabinet 2.

There is alot of different designs, but it's much cheaper to put in a
cable of extra ducts day 1 than to dig up everything to put in another
duct later.

Here is some prices for reference (from distributors in Sweden, prices
may differ and project pricing apply from your manufacturer):
DB1 - 7/3.5     0.16 Euro/m
DB4 - 7/3.5     0.82 Euro/m
DB7 - 7/3.5     1.28 Euro/m
DB12 - 7/3.5     2.06 Euro/m
DB1 - 14/10      0.33 Euro/m
DB2 - 14/10      1.05 Euro/m
DB4 - 14/10      1.85 Euro/m
DB7 - 14/10      2.94 Euro/m
24x SM Microfiber for 14/10     0.78 Euro/m
48x SM Microfiber for 14/10     1.15 Euro/m
72x SM Microfiber for 14/10     1.49 Euro/m
96x SM Microfiber for 14/10     1.89 Euro/m
144x SM Microfiber for 14/10     2.76 Euro/m
192x SM Microfiber for 14/10     3.56 Euro/m
EBFU 2x SM for 7/3.5        0.166 Euro/m
EBFU 4x SM for 7/3.5        0.194 Euro/m
EBFU 8x SM for 7/3.5        0.353 Euro/m
EBFU 12x SM for 7/3.5       0.454 Euro/m

In Sweden most providers use this kind of material for their FTTH
projects, but small providers to the incumbents.
The old way of using 32 or 40 mm ducts is mostly used for long backbone
links or where you use bigger fibertrunks (384, 480, 960, 1280 fibers
(most often ribbon fiber)).

Hope it helps, and if you have any questions, just ask.

--
Fredrik Holmqvist
I2B (Internet 2 Business)