SHA1 collisions proven possisble

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Thu Feb 23 23:24:53 UTC 2017

We just need to keep the likely timeline in mind.

As I saw someone say on Twitter today ... "don't panic, just deprecate".

Valeria Aurora's hash-lifecycle table is very informative (emphasis mine):

http://valerieaurora.org/hash.html

Reactions to stages in the life cycle of cryptographic hash functions
StageExpert reactionProgrammer reactionNon-expert ("slashdotter") reaction
Initial proposal Skepticism, don't recommend use in practice Wait to hear
from the experts before adding to your crypto library SHA-what?
Peer review Moderate effort to find holes and garner an easy publication Used
by a particularly adventurous developers for specific purposes Name-drop
the hash at cocktail parties to impress other geeks
General acceptance Top-level researchers begin serious work on finding a
weakness (and international fame) Even Microsoft is using the hash function
now Flame anyone who suggests the function may be broken in our lifetime
Minor weakness discovered Massive downloads of turgid pre-prints from
arXiv, calls for new hash functions Start reviewing other hash functions
for replacement Long semi-mathematical posts comparing the complexity of
the attack to the number of protons in the universe
Serious weakness discovered Tension-filled CRYPTO rump sessions! A full
break is considered inevitable Migrate to new hash functions immediately,
where necessary Point out that no actual collisions have been found
First collision found *Uncork the champagne! Interest in the details of the
construction, but no surprise* *Gather around a co-worker's computer,
comparing the colliding inputs and running the hash function on them* *Explain
why a simple collision attack is still useless, it's really the second
pre-image attack that counts*
Meaningful collisions generated on home computer How adorable! I'm busy
trying to break this new hash function, though Send each other colliding
X.509 certificates as pranks Claim that you always knew it would be broken
Collisions generated by hand Memorize as fun party trick for next faculty
mixer Boggle Try to remember how to do long division by hand
Assumed to be weak but no one bothers to break No one is getting a
publication out of breaking this What's this crypto library function
for? Update
Pokemon Wikipedia pages

Royce