WWV Broadcast Outages

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Tue Feb 21 16:45:04 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:21:09AM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> If any network operators still use WWV for time synchronization.

	I wouldn't expect this to cause any serious synchonization
problem; anyone using HF for time has to have the ability to hold
over for a miniumum of several hours anyway due to the vagaries of
normal shortwave propagation.  (Even 24-48 hour disruptions aren't
uncommon after a large solar event.)

	That said, I and many others "still use" WWV -- there aren't
exactly a surplus of suitable backup methods to GPS these days.

	But if anyone needs it, consider using the fine HF time
service provided by our friendly neighbors to the north:

	http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/time/short_wave.html

	--msa