Juniper Advertise MED on EBGP session.

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Tue Feb 21 16:38:12 UTC 2017

What metric do you intend to advertise to an eBGP peer?

iBGP MED to eBGP MED ? MED being a non-transitive attribute, I guess it's not expected to work if you don't explicitly set a MED in the export policy (you might rely on setting and matching communities for that) or on the peer group.
It's not be expected to work on Cisco without explicitly setting the MED, either.

IGP metric to MED ? It seems to just work as is here, at least for RIP and OSPF (as long as you don't do anything to the MED in your export policy): RIP metric and OSPF metric  are exported spontaneously as MED (when using OSPF E2 routes, beware of the static aspect of their metric).

Olivier