backbones filtering unsanctioned sites

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Feb 17 08:29:04 UTC 2017

* Todd Crane:

> I am not familiar with Cogent’s architecture but why couldn’t they
> just null route the IP address at their edge routers from within
> Spain? I am not a lawyer but from what I understand, since the Spanish
> government has zero say on what goes on outside of their borders,

Of course they do, see the arrest of Augusto Pinochet.

Due to the nature of mass copyright violation, it is likely that these
sites violate the rights of Spanish copyright holders, and if such a
violated party obtains a court order against an ISP, I see no reason
why the violations should go on everywhere except Spain.