backbones filtering unsanctioned sites

Todd Crane todd.crane at n5tech.com
Fri Feb 17 04:04:24 UTC 2017

I am not familiar with Cogent’s architecture but why couldn’t they just null route the IP address at their edge routers from within Spain? I am not a lawyer but from what I understand, since the Spanish government has zero say on what goes on outside of their borders, a court order that may or may not have been issued is not a legal defense for blocking access around the world. Furthermore, I think that this should be viewed as a malicious act and not as unfortunate consequence or a breach of contract. As far as letting them off the hook because they only offer a partial view of the route table, our contract never anything about partial views. Force majeure only applies to thing they have no control over. For that to apply, the court order, if that’s what it was, would have to apply to every jurisdiction in which they operate. I am also skeptical of this court order, seeing as Ars was unable to independently verify.

Disclaimer:
We used to have Cogent transit and it was the single worst experience I have been through in my professional life. Every time I had to deal with them, it felt more like what I would dealing with the mobs that control much of Russia. Therefore, I am very hesitant to assume even the slightest bit of good faith towards them.