IoT security

Ed Lopez ed.lopez at corsa.com
Tue Feb 7 22:01:29 UTC 2017

In a recent article (
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/02/security_and_th.html), Bruce
Schneier sums up the IoT security mitigation issue quite nicely in this
paragraph:

"The market can't fix this because neither the buyer nor the seller cares.
The owners of the webcams and DVRs used in the denial-of-service attacks
don't care. Their devices were cheap to buy, they still work, and they
don't know any of the victims of the attacks. The sellers of those devices
don't care: They're now selling newer and better models, and the original
buyers only cared about price and features. There is no market solution,
because the insecurity is what economists call an externality: It's an
effect of the purchasing decision that affects other people. Think of it
kind of like invisible pollution."

- Ed Lopez
--
Ed Lopez | Security Architect | Corsa Technology
Email: ed.lopez at corsa.com
Mobile: +1.703.220.0988
www.corsa.com

sent from my iPad ... I apologize for any auto-correct errors