Brainstorming acceptance issues - WAN impediment

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 7 21:24:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:10:11 -0800, Kasper Adel said:

> From the top of my head, I can think of the basic tests like introducing
> jitter and delay but i would appreciate more ideas or even test cases that
> i can re-use.

Introduce packet loss.  Trigger timeouts.  Arrange to have packets arrive out
of order. Send it fragged packets.  Send it fragged packets of incorrect
length.  Send it fragged packets, and omit one frag and see if it behaves. Test
its behavior if the frags overlap, or the offset of a packet plus its size put
it over 64K.  Send it christmas tree packets.  Send it commands that aren't
authenticated by whatever you're using.  Find out what the underlying OS
(probably linux or *bsd), and hose it down with nmap to find surprises.
Syn-flood it.  Send it a long sequence of commands that change from state 1 to
state 2 and back, see if it gets confused if the commands arrive faster than
the amount of time it takes to process a command.

I could probably think of more, but I'm low on caffeine at the moment...

https://twitter.com/sempf/status/514473420277694465