IoT security

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:58:46 UTC 2017

I think the fundamental problem here is that these devices aren't good
network citizens in the first place.  The odds of getting them to add
functionality to support a new protocol are even likely than getting them
to not have open services externally IMHO.

Couldn't a lot of this be caught by proactive vulnerability scanning and
working with customers to have an SPI firewall in place, or am I missing
something?

Historically residential ISP CPE options have been terrible.  If you could
deliver something closer to user expectations you would likely see much
more adoption and less desire to rip and replace.  Ideally a cloud-managed
device so that the config wouldn't need to be rebuilt in the event of a
hardware swap.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Senior Cyber Security Engineer