Waste will kill ipv6 too

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Dec 30 05:48:31 UTC 2017

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 17:11, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>

> --- jlightfoot at gmail.com wrote:
> From: John Lightfoot <jlightfoot at gmail.com>
>
> Excuse the top post, but this seems to be an
> argument between people who understand big
> numbers and those who don't.
> ------------------------------------
>
> No, not exactly.  It's also about those that
> think in current/past network terms and those
> who are saying we don't know what the future
> holds, so we should be careful.
>

> -----------------------------
> which means 79 octillion people...no one
> alive will be around
> -----------------------------
>
> Stop thinking in terms of people.  Think in
> terms of huge numbers of 'things' in the
> ocean, in the atmosphere, in space, zillions
> of 'things' on and around everyone's bodies
> and homes and myriad other 'things' we can't
> even imagine right now.

Sure, but likely zillions of ocean sensors will share a few /64s rather than getting a /48 each.

Do you really think each person needs more than a thousand or so subnets for their wearable sensors? If not, then 1 of the many /48s they can safely consume has them covered.

Can I see a possible future in which homes actually need /48s? Sure. But we’ve got more than enough /48s to do that.

As I’ve said many times before, let’s see how it goes with the first /3 doing things as designed and intended. If it turns out to consume that 1/8th of the address space while I’m still alive, I’ll happily help build more restrictive allocation policies for the remaining virgin 5/8ths and the fractions of the 1/4 of the address that have a very small number of special use carve-outs (0::/3 and e000::/3).

Given that we still have more than 500 /12s free in the first /3 20 years into the process, I’m thinking we aren’t likely to have that issue.

Owen