Waste will kill ipv6 too

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Dec 30 01:25:45 UTC 2017

I'm saying I should be able to use whatever size LAN I want.

Go ahead. Just don't use anybody else's addresses to do it. :)

 -mel

On Dec 29, 2017, at 4:52 PM, John Lightfoot <jlightfoot at gmail.com<mailto:jlightfoot at gmail.com>> wrote:

Excuse the top post, but this seems to be an argument between people who understand big numbers and those who don't.  IPv4 has 2^32 addresses, IPv6 has 2^128, which means 79 octillion people can each have their own internet.  I think Owen is being modest when he says no one alive will be around for the exhaustion of IPv6, I think we're debating whether it will run out in a thousand years or a million.