Wi-Fi Analyzer

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Fri Dec 29 15:29:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 09:17:26AM -0600, Bryan Holloway wrote:
> Curious if the community has any recommendations and/or positive
> experiences to share for a handheld Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) analyzer.
>
> Software/laptop-based solutions can be unwieldy in certain environments.
> However, given rave reviews, I'm open to the idea as long as it's
> Mac-compatible.
>
> Should be able to show detailed spectra, help locate sources of
> interference, have mapping capabilities, etc.

Depending on what problem you're trying to solve, on my Android
phone I use a free app called 'Wifi Analyzer':

  http://wifianalyzer.mobi

Shows me what station IDs are on what channels, handles 2.4g and 5G
connections, etc.

Doesn't provide mapping, just shows "from where I am right know, what
channels have which stations as what strengths?"

For a house, it's easy to walk around, to passively get a feel for Wifi
placement/config.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large