Waste will kill ipv6 too

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Dec 29 05:34:00 UTC 2017

> On 29 Dec 2017, at 4:21 pm, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:36:51 +1100, Mark Andrews said:
>> PD is designed so that a device (router) can request multiple PD requests
>> upstream. The interior router just needs to make a upstream request on behalf
>> of the downstream device and any prefixes it will be allocating itself.
>
> OK, I obviously missed that part of the RFC, I was under the impression that a
> "middle" router would be carving out of its own PD, rather than relaying the
> downstream request upstream.

Mostly this is because RFC describe what goes over the wire, not what happens internally to a node.  There isn’t a RFC that says populate the DHCP DNS servers advertised downstream with those learnt by DHCP from upstream but CPE routers do this all the time. You could also just turn on DHCPv6 relay when you detect you are a interior router or have a check box next to the enable DHCP checkbox which says use relay mode.

Device vendors need more and more spoon feeding these days.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org