Waste will kill ipv6 too

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 03:41:57 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Ricky Beam
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:55 PM
To: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
Cc: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: Waste will kill ipv6 too

>Every scenario everyone has come up with is "unlikely". Home networks with multiple LANs??? Never going to happen; people don't know how to set them up, and there's little technical need for it.

I couldn't agree more.  We're spending so much time with new RFCs to handle all these prefix delegation ways in order to accommodate 'power users' who are used to chaining one NATing IPv4 router off of another one and having it sort of work.  If we'd just put a stake in the ground and say residences can have one router and bridge everything below that we'd be further ahead.  I just can't see 99.999% of users being interested in subnetting their homes and writing firewall rules so their light bulbs can't talking to their DVRs.

Chuck