Waste will kill ipv6 too

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 02:54:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 21:05:33 -0500, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> If you want to make that argument, that we shouldn’t have SLAAC and we
> should use /96 prefixes, that wouldn’t double the space, it would
> multiply it by roughly 4 billion.

I'm saying I should be able to use whatever size LAN I want.

> The routing problem might be real if everyone goes to PI, but I think
> that’s an unlikely scenario.

Every scenario everyone has come up with is "unlikely". Home networks with
multiple LANs??? Never going to happen; people don't know how to set them
up, and there's little technical need for it.

> Your definition of “amazingly fast is pretty odd... we’ve allocated tiny
> fractions of 2 /3 prefixes to special uses (multicast, ULA, loopback,
> unknown, etc.). Beyond that, there’s a /3 delegated to IANA as unicast
> space for distribution to the RIRs. Of that /3, IANA has delegated a
> little more than 5 /12s to RIRs. That’s the total of 20 years worth of
> turkey carving and constitutes well under 1/8th of the address space.
> Issued. By that measure, we’ve got well over 160 years to worry about
> runout.

After 20 years of not using IPv6, that's actually A LOT of carving. And if
you look at what's been assigned vs. what's being announced vs. what's
actually being used, there's a fantastic amount of waste. But nobody cares
because there's plenty of space, and "we'll never use it all." (history
says otherwise.)