Waste will kill ipv6 too

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri Dec 29 02:15:45 UTC 2017

> On Dec 28, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>
> All I was trying to say is there're going to be things
> not thought of yet that will chew up address space
> faster than ever before now that everyone believes it's
> essentially inexhaustible.  And, I expect, sooner than
> imagined.

If that's the case, it will be because there were few restrictions placed upon that address space.

And if some genius comes up with something that burns through all the IPv6 address space, you can rest assured the market (and not the IETF) will come up with a replacement that extends things beyond 128 bits in a ripping big hurry.