Waste will kill ipv6 too

Brock Tice brock at bmwl.co
Thu Dec 28 23:28:55 UTC 2017

On 12/28/2017 03:44 PM, James R Cutler wrote:
> There is no prohibition of requesting an allocation which matches your network. That is, simply request what is needed with suitable data for justification and get your /40 or whatever.

We are currently handing out /52s to customers. Based on a reasonable
sparse allocation scheme that would account for future growth that
seemed like the best option.

I can't really see how /52 is too small for a residential customer. I
know originally it was supposed to be /48 but after doing a bit of
reading I think many people have admitted there is room for nuance.

Do you think I could go to ARIN and say, well, we haven't used hardly
any of this but based on such-and-such allocation scheme, it would be
much better if you gave us a /32 instead of a /36?

Also, does anyone know whether ARIN is using sparse allocation, such
that if we go back later and ask for more they will just increase the
size of our allocation starting from the same point?

--Brock