Waste will kill ipv6 too

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 28 22:22:45 UTC 2017

And /48 was chosen as the site size so that we didn’t have to think about that either.  It’s large enough to cover almost all sites with additional /48s to be provided if you run out of /64s.

Nothing in the last 20+ years has lead me to believe that these decisions were wrong.  In fact NOT following these rules has consequences for everybody else as you can’t policy filter at the /48 boundary without collateral damage.  I would recommend that all ISP’s using longer prefixes for customer assignment shorten them to /48s.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org