Implementing 464XLAT at a small WISP

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 28 01:49:00 UTC 2017

> On 28 Dec 2017, at 11:45 am, Brock Tice <brock at bmwl.co> wrote:
>
> We recently deployed our first half-dozen IPv6-only customers after 6+ months of testing, using 464XLAT.
>
> It took me ages to sort all this out, so I hope someone finds this helpful. Feedback very much welcome.
>
> https://blog.brocktice.com/2017/12/27/deploying-464xlat-for-ipv6-only-clients-on-a-small-wisp-network-with-mikrotik-routers/

If all you want to do is 464XLAT you don’t need a nameserver that supports DNS64.  Just add a ipv4only.arpa zone with the appropriate AAAA records to your recursive servers.

The following provides the 464XLAT translation with the well known NAT64 prefix.

ipv4only.arpa. SOA . . 0 0 0 0 0
ipv4only.arpa. NS .
ipv4only.arpa. AAAA 64:ff9b::192.0.0.170
ipv4only.arpa. AAAA 64:ff9b::192.0.0.171
ipv4only.arpa. A 192.0.0.170
ipv4only.arpa. A 192.0.0.171

--
Mark Andrews, ISC