Geolocation: IPv4 Subnet blocked by HULU, and others

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 26 23:24:26 UTC 2017

In article <CAMCxY-EHpQyA=UYhkFBbmXrGuo4QUr62jLW+pqkpxbEa4NGDMg at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>I would like to know, Is there any legal recourse we can take against such
>a company consistently ignoring whitelist requests?

Is there some reason you believe that Hulu has a legal duty to provide
old TV shows to your users?  There are laws about discriminating
against protected classes like racial or religious minorities but I am
fairly sure that "random subscribers of some ISP in Utah" is not such a
class."

Also, many people will tell you that waving lawyers at a big company
very rarely ends well.  It is unlikely that Hulu actually doesn't want
your users' business and far more likely that there is a bug somewhere
in updating IP masks or the like.

When you did experiments to see where the big geolocation companies
think your networks are (Maxmind, Google, etc.) what did you find?

R's,
John