AS PATH limits

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Dec 22 23:11:44 UTC 2017

William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
>     If you've been hit with a known service-affecting problem that can
>     easily recur without warning and which will be service affecting if it
>     hits again, common sense suggests that it would be a good idea to
>     upgrade to a version of code which isn't affected.
>
> Well, that's a brilliant platitude, but what do you do when it breaks
> over and over until the other guy upgrades?

I dunno, maybe shake our fists and rage a bit about the existence of
service affecting bugs?  It's not like we haven't all been in this
position at one stage or another.

The point was, though, that there's been several months since this bug
was discussed on nanog-l way back in balmy september, and given the fact
that it can completely wipe out connectivity without warning for those
affected, it would have been a good idea to deal with the problem in an
orderly way at the time rather than letting it interfere with eggnog and
seasonal good cheer, at one of the times of year where chunks of the
world are busy taking well-deserved holidays.

On which point, seasonal cheers to all.

Nick