Waste will kill ipv6 too

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 21 20:21:18 UTC 2017

> On 22 Dec 2017, at 3:48 am, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2) For the transition technology discussion I believe it centered around
> attempting to get a /48 to each 'site' (home/customer) and doing ds-lite as
> the transition technology in use.
>   (map the customer to not a /128 in the ds-lite, but a /48)

I think you mean 6rd.  DS-Lite doesn’t use any extra IPv6 addresses.

6rd can be poorly done by embedding the entire IPv4 address in the IPv6 address.  Doing that does waste space.

6rd deployment should not require much more IPv6 /48’s than a native IPv6 deployment would.  That does require properly configuring your DHCPv4 servers with DIFFERENT 6rd DHCPv4 Option values on a per IPv4 DHCP pool basis which I’m sure every ISP here is capable of doing as there is nothing really new here to do. You have all carved up IPv4 assignments into IPv4 pools.  This is no different.  You carve up a IPv6 assignments into similar sized pools of /48’s then set the 6rd DHCPv4 Option to the appropriate values for that IPv4 to IPv6 pool mapping.  Add the mapping to the BRs and you are done.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org