Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Dec 21 16:42:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> If we don’t end up needing to fix other things and replace the codebase
> with something that would allow us to redo the address space in the
> next 120 years, I’ll be quite surprised.

Hi Owen,

I bet you're wrong about that. I've been doing experiments with using
ephemeral aggregated address hierarchies instead of routing. That's about
as radical a change as changes get. No surprise that TCP fails, DNS blows
up and the static subnet is rendered obsolete. One of the surprises was
that IPv6 itself, the layer 3 protocol, works as well as anything new that
could be designed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us