Waste will kill ipv6 too

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Dec 21 01:27:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Handing out /48’s to homes was never ever going to cause us to run out of
> IPv6 space.  Even if the homes are are connected to multiple providers
> there isn’t a issue.

Hi Mark,

No single assignment practice would. Sadly no IPv6 addresses reach your
computer directly from IANA. Multiple layers of assignment practices are
happen along the way, each with
it's own cumulative consumption. Most of those layers were designed with
the independent assumption that "we have so many IPv6 addresses, let's just
not worry about how many bits are consumed at this step." With a cumulative
effect on the consumption of IPv6 space.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>