Bandwidth distribution per ip

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Dec 20 19:23:05 UTC 2017

Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote on 12/20/2017 12:07 PM:
> Still, i am running some dedicated servers on colo in EU/US, some over
> 10G(bonding),
> and _single_ ip on server, i never faced such balancing issues, thats
> why i am asking,
> if someone had such carrier, who require to balance bandwidth between
> many ips,
> with quite high precision, to not lose expensive bandwidth.

I have not heard of this. We typically purchase a connection and bring
our own IP space. The capacity of the connection and the number of IP
addresses (if any) are unrelated to each other.

That said, I would find a bonded ethernet connection acceptable in some
applications. Bonded ethernet generally works well to increase aggregate
bandwidth when used by multiple hosts whose individual bandwidth is well
below the speed of each link in the bond. With few hosts, bonded
ethernet connections are not likely to work well to increase bandwidth
and would generally be unsuitable for providing connectivity to a single
IP/host.