Waste will kill ipv6 too

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Dec 20 19:17:12 UTC 2017

On 20 December 2017 at 21:01, Aaron Gould <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:

> I wonder if the 20 bit mpls label will be re-thought down the road also ?

No comment to the IPv6 discussion. But size of MPLS label is
consideration, and we do spend two labels for one thing, partly due to
size limit, partly due to the lack of expressiveness of MPLS label
wire-format. Examples of such things are ELI and Extension Label.
There are more and more consumers for MPLS labels, and canonical
implementation (label manager) gives each consumer own dedicated
block, this alone makes 20b less than arbitrarily large.

--
  ++ytti