Waste will kill ipv6 too

Harald Koch chk at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 18:55:40 UTC 2017

On 20 December 2017 at 13:23, Mike <mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:

> in IPv4 for example, when you assign a P2P
> link with a /30, you are using 2 and wasting 2 addresses. But in IPv6,
> due to ping-pong and just so many technical manuals and other advices,
> you are told to "just use a /64' for your point to points.

There are 2^64 *networks* available in IPv6. That's 2^32 times as many
*networks* as there are IPv4 *addresses*. That doesn't mean twice as many;
that means almost 4.3 BILLION times as many. Yeah, go ahead and use a /64
for your point-to-point networks.

Or don't; there are ways to use /128s carved out of a single /64 (I do so
on my private VPNs), and then route the whole /64 to my VPN concentrator).

--
Harald