Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 19 20:55:49 CST 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM, ITechGeek <ITG at itechgeek.com> wrote:

> While a single network gets at /64, isn't the practice suppose to be
> providers allocating a /56 or a /60 for home users (you know so your IOT,
> wired lan, wifi, guest network, gaming systems, bathroom, bedroom, etc. can
> all be on their own networks)?

Yes, that's what it's _supposed_ to be. Anything from a /48 to a /60 is
reasonable given the way IPv6 is intended to be used. My personal
preference is /56 by default, /48 by request.

Providers assigning a single /64 or a /128 to an always-on customer are
doing it wrong. You know who you are.

If this seems inconsistent with my last email, my key point there was not
that we're using IPv6 in a crazy way (although to some extent we are) but
rather that the IPv6 address space is by tens of orders of magnitude much
smaller than you think.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us