Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 05:18:20 UTC 2017

I’m pretty sure Comcast, along with most other MSOs in NA, use squat space for various endpoints because they have run out of public and private IPv4 space.   Everyone obviously wants to get to all IPv6 but there are millions of end devices and other gear they speak to which do not support it.  For the most part I think they try to re-use space and use the transition space when they can, but some deployed squat space before that came about or it’s simply not enough.

Phil