Free access to measurement network

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Dec 18 19:20:24 UTC 2017

The RLEC infrastructure doesn't include the ROW. That belongs to the municipality.

You are largely correct that you don't have access to RLEC infrastructure. IANAL, so I don't know the precise limitations. Many have been made to port their numbers, but some are still protected.

You won't see me defending USF-funded golden toilets.

That said, RLECs are a fairly small amount of the problem and you can always do fixed wireless to overcome economics in their areas.

The biggest thing stopping a CLEC from building in the ROW is economics? That's generally the biggest inhibitor to any infrastructure, but it's being overcome all of the time. I know a lot of guys have the cost per home for FTTH well under $1k/home. Depending on services sold, that's a reasonable 1 - 3 year ROI.

You don't have to be cheaper, you just have to be better. One of my clients is still going doing CLEC DSL for about 13 years.

They don't mess with their customer's traffic. They have good customer support. We all know you can't expect them to have a superior service and compete on price. If you want something not shit, buy it. Don't force someone to polish a turd.

There are thousands of WISPs in the US. I know because I've been one for about 13 years, I go to the trade shows, and I have the largest WISP-focused podcast. I'll go tell them that they can't do what they're doing. Those urban guys are pretty new to the scene and represent probably less than 5% of the WISP industry. Some of the non-urban ones are delivering 100M+ services. Some of them are in the middle of nowhere, building their own infrastructure to deliver the only non-satellite service available.

The biggest WISPs I know (100k+ customers) are all outside of urban areas. There are a ton that are 10k+. Most are probably 500 - 5k. Obviously nothing compared to the incumbents, but I'm not sure being like the incumbents is what anyone wants.

I think the biggest thing this thread reveals is that just because someone operates a network doesn't mean they know how all types of networks operate (or are available).

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange