40G and 100G optics options

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:01:39 UTC 2017

Hi

What options are available for 40G QSFP+ and 100G QSFP28 for 10+ km links?

I see a lot of switches offered with QSFP+ and QSFP28. But I do not seem
to find the necessary optics to build the links I want.

For example, take a look at the options available at Fiberstore:

https://www.fs.com/c/generic-40g-qsfp-891

Generic Compatible 40GBASE-LR4 and OTU3 QSFP+ 1310nm 10km LC Transceiver
for SMF
$340

Generic Compatible 40GBASE-ER4 and OTU3 QSFP+ 1310nm 40km LC Transceiver
for SMF
$1500

https://www.fs.com/c/generic-qsfp28-100g-transceivers-2858

Generic Compatible QSFP28 100GBASE-LR4 1310nm 10km Transceiver
$1999

Generic Compatible QSFP28 100GBASE-ER4 1310nm 40km Transceiver
$7000

That is it. Four modules and the 40km are prohibitive expensive. The
situation at other vendors appears to be similar.

I need stronger modules that can do more than 10 km without being
extremely expensive. Or DWDM modules in the 1550 nm band so I can use
external amplifiers. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this expected
to be available in the near future?

Regards,

Baldur