Free access to measurement network

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Dec 18 16:43:23 UTC 2017

There's nothing stopping you from using CLEC status to build in the ROW of an RLEC area.

Fixed wireless is the most cost effective way to deploy in rural environments, other than at some point ultra rural, satellite takes over. That's kinda what WISPs have been doing for 20 years.

So don't own cable. Build fiber. There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

If you're going CLEC and using the ILEC's copper, go bigger. Most of the big ILECs are still rolling with sub 10 megabit speeds. I know some CLECs doing ADSL2+, VDSL, etc. Not as wide-reaching, no, but it's something and generates revenue while you build your own plant.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange