Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

Narseo Vallina Rodriguez narseo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:22:50 UTC 2017

We found a number of such instances when working in our last year's
Internet Measurements Conference (IMC) paper [1] "A Multi-perspective
Analysis of Carrier-Grade NAT Deployment".

Back then, spring-summer 2016, we found a number of large cellular
ISPs using routable IP address space for their private IP address
space.

Some cases were AS3651 (Sprint US) AS22140 (T−Mobile US) and AS24608
(H3G SpA IT) among others.

We found this practice to be common in other ISPs but we did not have
enough data to drive anything conclusive for them.

One of the most common blocks was assigned to the UK Ministry of
Defense as Shaun also pointed out for Microsoft.

You can find the whole discussion is in Section 6.1 and Figure 7.

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.05606

--

Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez
Research Staff, ICSI